Re: [org-mode] org-protocol commands are treated as filenames

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [org-mode] org-protocol commands are treated as filenames
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:13:28 +0100

Hi Stu,

Stu White <stubillwhite@gmail.com> writes:

> (I hope that this is the right place to ask this question; if not then if
> you could point me in the right direction of where to ask it then I'd
> appreciate it.)

Org is part of Emacs, so there is nothing wrong with asking an Org
question here, of course -- but you will generally have faster answers
if you ask on the Org-mode mailing list:

> I'm trying to get org-protocol working, and I've hit a snag that I'm hoping
> is something basic that I'm missing because I'm new to Emacs.
>
> I've followed the instructions on the web
> (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html). However, when I
> launch Emacs with a command-line argument consisting of an org-protocol
> command then Emacs treats it as a filename rather than a command.
>
> For example, if I run:
>
> \emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe
> org-protocol:/store-link:/www.google.com/Google

What if you use a URL like this:

\emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe
org-protocol:/store-link:/http://www.gnu.org/GNU
                                                           ^^^^^^^

?

> Is there some special command that I'm missing that instructs Emacs that an
> argument should not be treated as a filename? Or is my problem more complex
> than that?

It needs to recognize the link as a link, and www.gnu.org is just a
domain name.

> Many thanks for any guidance you can give -- I'm a little new to all
> this, and the learning curve is quite steep.

We've all been there, please let us know if the hint above solves your
problem!

All best,

--
 Bastien