Re: Best practices for launching Emacs on Windows 7/8

From: Buchs, Kevin
Subject: Re: Best practices for launching Emacs on Windows 7/8
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:36:14 -0600

Mark,

I use a .BAT file for the file association. However, a large percentage of the time I use that, the client starts up and does not find the already running server and it will try to start another server (in my .emacs). So, I end up not using the association. Most often I drag and drop files into the always open emacs window.

It is possible to make the file association have arguments (emacsclient –alter...), but I've only found this can be done by editing the registry via regedit.

What are the problems you see with having a .BAT file?

I know there are some nice tools out there that are windows programs that can launch other windows programs with arguments. Maybe that would make you feel better.

Kevin Buchs | Senior Engineer | SPPDG | 507-538-5459 | buchs.kevin@mayo.edu

Mayo Clinic | 200 First Street SW | Rochester, MN 55905 | http://www.mayo.edu

What are the best practices for using/launching Emacs as Server on Windows 7/8?

For example, on Windows Vista, I used to be able to make a file association with .TXT files that invoked emacsclient with the --alternate-editor=runemacs option so that if Emacs wasn't running, it would be launched.

In Windows 7 and 8, the GUI simply does not allow any options.  I am not sure if I could hack the registry directly to stuff the options in there, but since the GUI no longer supports it, I fear the underlying support might not be there either.  I have considered trying to associate .TXT with something like a Emacs.BAT/Emacs.CMD file that could invoke emacsclient with options, but this has its own problems, and seems like a bad idea for ultimately launching a "windows mode" program Emacs.exe (which is not a "command line mode" program).