global-bind a function key

From: Glen Stark
Subject: global-bind a function key
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:29:16 GMT

Hi.

I feel like this should be really simple but I'm having a hard time
anyway.

I'm using emacs 24.2.1

Following the instructions here: http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/
emacs_497.html

I have the following line in my .emacs file:

        (global-set-key [f5] 'convert-include-type)

(convert-include-type is a function of my own definition).

If I evaluate the above lisp expression I get no errors, but pressing the
F5 key produces the message "<SunOpen> is undefined", which is apparently
the default keybinding for F5.

If I run "global-set-key, f5, convert-include-type" from the minibuffer,
everything works as expected.

I tried a couple other syntaxes for keybinding an f5 key that I found on
the web, but so far I have had no luck.  Can someone help me out?

Thanks,

Glen