Re: create new key prefix

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: create new key prefix
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:44:34 -0500

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> On 02/19/2013 08:41 PM Tim Visher wrote:

>>> Thanks much for the reply.  I have almost no idea what you said, but it
>>> got
>>> me to try the code which I already wrote (which I didn't do before
>>> because I
>>> didn't think it would work, thought sure there was something missing).
>>> The
>>> code I already wrote and left sitting there untested for a couple-three
>>> hours... it works!!
>>>
>>> Well that's a completely new experience for me.  B^D
>>

>> LOL. Good to know.
>>
>> As an aside, what are you confused about regarding what I said? Maybe
>> I can help clear some things up for you?
>
> What I read in several docs on the web implied that a command was needed
> first to create a sparse map (i.e., define-prefix-command) and then to
> assign it to a key prefix, in my case, "C-c p".  So when you wrote/asked,
> "`(global-set-key... doesn't work for you?", it didn't compute with me at
> all at first because it seemed like you were ignoring/forgetting all that.
> But then 1% of me thought, maybe this guy is one of the 0.02% who knows what
> he's talking about, prompting me to try running my own code (which was
> likewise ignoring/forgoing sparse map creation etc.).  My crap not only ran
> without error, but it also worked perfectly!

Generally you use sparse maps, etc. when you're defining a keymap for
a mode that you're writing or when you want to activate a group of
keys all at once. In your case you probably aren't intending to do
that.

> The other part is the reference to "(eval-after-load..."; from your context
> I gather that it's meant to remedy some other code stepping on my
> keybindings (and perhaps too other definitions).  But how, when, and where
> to actually implement that function gribbles the laft whicher bonkhaft.

`eval-after-load` is just a way to evaluate a function after a library
is loaded. In other words, if I wanted to have `C-c p p` do something
but `mode-x` defined `C-c p p` to do something else, the easiest way
I've found to step on the mode's definition is to do an
`(eval-after-load 'mode-x '(local-set-key (kbd "C-c p p")
'func-name))`. That will reset they key in that mode back to what you
want it to be.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.