Re: Giving up on colors, I need help

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Giving up on colors, I need help
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 23:07:34 +0100

>> Back in 2007 I did (global-font-lock-mode 0), but that stopped working
>> years ago.
>
> emacs -Q --eval '(global-font-lock-mode 0)' ~/tmp/foo.el
>
> shows the text in black-on-white with no funny colors, so if
> (global-font-lock-mode 0) doesn't work for you, it must be because of
> some other customization you have which triggers a bug (e.g. loading
> a brain-dead package which thinks it's a good idea to call
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)).

I tried some of the methods described by the OP, and they work *after*
the file is visited, but starting with emacs -Q and evaluating this on
*scratch*:

(defun foo ()
  (message "hook")
  (global-font-lock-mode nil))

(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'foo)

then visiting a C++ file, the text is colorized. At that point,

M-x global-font-lock-mode

and the colors go away, but

M-x revert-buffer

colorizes the text again.

> IOW, I recommend you M-x report-emacs-bug RET

Yes, it is a glaring bug.