Re: What does "tag space" mean?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What does "tag space" mean?
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 16:19:06 +0200

> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:21:45 +0100
> From: Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> I've started to write a small guide to the C code on emacswiki [1].
> Any contribution welcome :)

Comments:

 . Unless you intend to cover non-Posix platforms, I suggest to remove
   from the "Build configuration" everything that is not applicable to
   Posix systems, like config.bat.

 . I suggest to show the relevant pieces of C code when you describe
   something like Lisp_Object or XVECTORP.  I think it will make the
   document much more self-contained, as anyone who reads it will need
   to consult the C code anyway.

 . Don't point to specific source line numbers, they change very
   frequently as part of development.  "Around line NNNN" is much
   better, and sometimes it is better to omit that entirely.

 . The part about 256MB limitation of buffers on 32-bit systems is
   incorrect: the max size is 512MB.  Your bit calculations are in
   error.  See VAL_MAX.

 . I question the usefulness of listing all of the Xfoo macros.  It
   should be enough to explain that Xfoo(x) returns a C object
   corresponding to a Lisp object of type foo.  Same goes for the fooP
   macros.

The document doesn't yet go too far to become interesting, so the
above are just small nits.

Thanks.