Re: narrow color bar using display properties

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: narrow color bar using display properties
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 13:26:29 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 14:26:45 +0800
>>
>> I've got my cursor-type set to a colored bar, and looking at it today I
>> thought it would be very nice if I could create a similar effect with
>> code: presumably using text properties (I'm guessing the display
>> property) to lay a bar of color (either background color or a
>> transparent foreground color) over existing text, only a couple of
>> pixels wide and aligned left, without otherwise disturbing the placement
>> of the text beneath.
>
> I don't get it: do you mean to have a color bar to the left of _every_
> character in a region of text?  Why would want something like that?
> Or did I misunderstand what you want?

I'm not sure what the OP wants either, but if you've ever seen
an IBM 5251 with the "column separator" attribute that would be one
explanation.  But column separators formed a bucket around an
input character:

| |
|_|

Actually pretty nice for indicating input fields vs. protected fields.

--
Dan Espen