Re: How to pickle split window?

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: How to pickle split window?
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:05:04 -0500

jpkotta <jpkotta@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, March 8, 2013 5:32:17 AM UTC-6, Haines Brown wrote:
>>
>> What can I do to return to the split window that displays my prior
>> state automatically after closing gnus without having to do an emacs
>> reload

> C-x r w <letter> saves the window configuration to the register
> specified with <letter> (e.g. "a" or "z").  C-x r j <letter> restores
> the window config stored in register <letter>.
>
> There are many packages that save window configurations, see
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWindows#toc4.  I like
> workgroups.el.

Sorry I was not clearer. I understand there are commands to restore
previous window layout, but my interest was for it to be automatic, so
that for example when I close gnus, emacs returns automatically to the
prior windows layout. It would even be nice to return automatically to
the the prior buffers displayed in those windows.

I suspect the answer to somehow to add a hook to gnus quit that
automatically runs (defun reload ()), perhaps calling back most recent
buffers for those windows.

Haines