Re: File Encoding Issue on Windows

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: File Encoding Issue on Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:23:42 +0100

Am 12.03.2013 um 15:57 schrieb Tech Stuff:

> To be clear, when I posted yesterday, it was in emacs that I was seeing the
> extraneous characters, not in notepad.

That makes it clearer! GNU Emacs 22.1 is pretty old and has only rudimentary
UTF-8 support. The recent GNU Emacs 24.x (24.3. was just released) versions are
much better.

How to handle encodings? For GNU Emacs you can use file-local variables as in:

        ;; -*- mode: Emacs-Lisp; coding: utf-8-unix; -*-

or

        %%% Local Variables:
        %%% mode: LaTeX
        %%% TeX-engine: xetex
        %%% fill-column: 99999
        %%% coding: utf-8-unix
        %%% TeX-command-default: "XeLaTeX5E"
        %%% End:
        %

The first example is meant for the file's beginning, the latter for its end.
(Notice the different comment characters!) When you see, i.e. know, that GNU
Emacs is using the wrong encoding to display (present) the file's contents, you
can use C-x RET r <encoding name> RET (revert-buffer-with-coding-system) to try
another encoding. Then record this value in a file-local variable and save the
file.

It's all in the documentation.

--
Greetings