python-mode unexpectedly switches to tabs for indenting

From: matt
Subject: python-mode unexpectedly switches to tabs for indenting
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

For reasons I don't understand, emacs has unexpectedly switched to using tabs
instead of spaces for auto-indenting and commands like (newline-and-indent)
[key sequence: C-j] for one of of the python files in the project I'm working
on.  It was using the 4-space indent that the python mode has configured
previously.  I checked and none of the python-mode configuration has changed.
It doesn't happen for any of the other files in the same directory-- just for
this one file-- which makes me thing that I somehow unwittingly set some
file-local variables.  The file has DOS style newlines.

I tried using the "M-x untabify" command and then query-replacing all the tabs
in the file to see if that might toggle the behavior, but tab insertion on C-j
still persists.

I'm really at a loss to explain what happened, and it really disturbs me that
this can happen without me having any clue.  Any help/insight is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!