Re: emacsclient does not start: How to create a server file?

From: Stefan Husmann
Subject: Re: emacsclient does not start: How to create a server file?
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:28:13 +0100

Am 18.03.2013 00:37, schrieb William Gardella:
Hi Stefan,

Stefan Husmann <stefan-husmann@t-online.de> writes:

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion, and obviously the
daemon cannot be started. Its the same with or without server running.

Is the Emacs server using TCP or UNIX sockets?  The -f argument only
makes sense for TCP; otherwise emacsclient looks for a socket to connect
to in `server-socket-dir'.  The name of the socket defaults to "server"
in that directory but can be specified with the -s argument.

I'm not sure why it was trying to use ~/tmp/ as a default server file
location, given that your prefix according to that pkgbuild was /usr/.

Hello,

I found the reason why ~/tmp was used as default server file location. I had
set the
variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE in my .bashrc. I have eliminated that entry from the
.bashrc.
Weirdly the variable nevertheless was set when starting X. After some reboots
this
phenomen vanished. I do not know why, but it seems a systemd feature to have
some kind
of caching here.

emacsclient works now as expected. Thanks.

Best Regards Stefan.