RE: A question about interactive

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: A question about interactive
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 07:45:02 -0700

>> (interactive (list (read-file-name "Filename: " "c:/"))

There should have been another `)' at the end of that; sorry.

> when I run f M-x f - it asks for the file name but it does
> not insert into the buffer.

It inserts the file name.  FILE is a file name.  Maybe you are looking for
`insert-file', which inserts file contents, and not `insert' (which you had in
your code).

> I was not able to read about this in C-h-f interactive -
> Can you explain what's happening here  - interactive is
> supposed to take in a string as its argument -how is it
> working with a list?

In the Elisp manual, use `i interactive' to find node `Using Interactive'.  Read
the 3rd bullet about argument ARG-DESCRIPTOR.

The manual is your friend.  Please look there first.  Use `i' to find stuff.
Use `C-s' or `C-M-s' to search if you cannot find something using `i'.

Use `report-emacs-bug' if you cannot easily find something that is in the
manual, e.g., if you think another index entry should be added.

Please use plain text (not HTML) for the Emacs help list.  Thx.