About "program" and "command"

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: About "program" and "command"
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 20:32:01 +0800

The doc string of `call-process' says:

  Call PROGRAM synchronously in separate process.

The doc string of `call-process-shell-command' says:

  Execute the shell command COMMAND synchronously in separate process.

What's the different of these two functions?  In other words, what's the
difference of "program" and "command" here?  After searching the
archives, I found two threads[1][2], but they don't help.  So can I get
a pointer to information on these two concepts?

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2010-09/msg00009.html
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-10/msg00059.html

--
Xue Fuqiao