C-Backspace behavior

From: Timur Aydin
Subject: C-Backspace behavior
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 18:08:20 +0300

Hi,

Here is a scenario that I am running into many times everyday and it has gotten sufficiently annoying that I just wanted to find out how others are dealing with this.

I have TODO files in a file tree like this:

src
   foo
      TODO
   bar
      TODO
   rap
      TODO

So I open the first TODO file, mark a region, then do C-x C-f and do C-Backspace to delete foo and hit enter. In the dired buffer, I select the second TODO and yank. But, annoyingly, foo is pasted instead of the region that I have marked.

For this particular case, it is easy to just Backspace "foo" and enter "bar", but if the directory hierarchy is deeper nested, I just want to quickly delete all directories up to a certain point, open the dired buffer and navigate to the next directory without loosing the region that I have killed.

I don't just want to redefine the C-Backpace key to not kill, so my question is, how should I work so that I don't run into this problem?

--
Timur