Re: Better vertical-ness in ido-mode?

From: Steven Degutis
Subject: Re: Better vertical-ness in ido-mode?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 19:00:47 -0500

These ideas seem like overkill. The current technique ido-mode uses is great, it just could use a different visual representation when displayed vertically, that's all. I'm sure it can't be that hard, maybe forking ido-mode and hard-coding it would be sufficient.

-Steven

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> it might be interesting to change icomplete.el such that it can
>> display the completions using a tooltip frame
> Yuck!  Tooltip frames are ugly, especially if they are large.

I don't see what makes them particularly ugly.  I don't claim they're
ideal for the job at hand, but they might be "the closest" we have (tho
maybe we could use a standard frame, and be extra careful to strip its
mode-line, header-line, tool-bar, menu-bar, ...).

> Why not pop up a GUI dialog instead?

I don't see how that could work for icomplete (which displays remaining
completion candidates in an unobtrusive way).

        Stefan