Re: About "capabilities of server"

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: About "capabilities of server"
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:29:28 -0400

In article <mailman.23712.1365342356.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> Christopher Schmidt <christopher@ch.ristopher.com> writes:
>
> > Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:
> >> In the doc string of `open-network-stream' and
> >> `notifications-get-capabilities', "capabilities of server" are
> >> mentioned.  What does it mean?  I have done RTFM and STFW, but I didn't
> >> get some useful information.  Sorry if it's off-topic for Emacs.
> >
> > Take a look RFC 1869, for example.
> >
> >     https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1869
>
> This one is for SMTP servers. I doubt, it is related to
> `open-network-stream' and `notifications-get-capabilities'.

It's related to open-network-stream. The capabilities-related options
are generic, intended to work with a variety of protocols.

The general idea is that many application protocols have optional
features, and a way for the client to ask the server "Which features do
you support?". This is what the Elisp documentation refers to as its
capabilities.  You specify the command used to get the list of
capabilities in the :cabability-command option.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA