Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?

From: Steven Degutis
Subject: Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:08:48 -0500

First of all those keys are stolen by paredit.

Second of all the UI for this seems like overkill compared to highlight-symbol.el. It doesn't need its own window, it just should highlight matches in the current window and allow me to jump between them easily. But knowing emacs, there's probably some variable to disable opening a new window with the search results.

And finally, it doesn't seem to highlight the matches in the buffer.

-Steven

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Often times I find that I want to jump to another occurrence of the
> word-under-point, almost always variables or functions. I end up going
> to the beginning of the word with M-b, doing isearch-forward with C-s,
> adding all the words until the full word is the search term with C-w a
> bunch of times, and finally C-s to jump around to other instances of
> it.

If you are using Emacs from bzr, configure the variable below to run
occur for symbol at point.

        C-h v occur-read-regexp-defaults-function

Then jump around with

M-s o
M-g M-n
M-g M-n
M-g M-p

or look at occur before and jump directly to the needed location.