Re: Gmail in emacs?

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: Gmail in emacs?
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:09:15 +0100

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use gmail heavily for my job. I particularly love how responsive gmail's
> website is, and the keyboard shortcuts are great. I just wish it was inside
> emacs.
>
> Is there a sane, modern way to use gmail from within emacs, that archives
> instead of deletes mail (technically this probably just means removing the
> label "index"), and syncs properly with gmail's labels?
>
> Thanks for your time reading this.
>
> -Steven

Not sure if i've understood you correctly... i set a filter on Gmail
UI by entering in a obscure word in the 'not' box i.e. so if an email
does not contain the word it is archived and then i read mail in the
All Mail box. Saves manually archiving every so often. I wonder if you
are a bit like me i like the Gmail UI for most things but it is useful
to use an email client sometimes. As a linux user i find Alpine the
best as i don't have to download headers each time i do an install of
a new release which is every six months. Alpine just reads on the
server and all i do is copy over the .pinerc file when i do an
install. No other mail client works as fast as Alpine i find.

Obviously if you like Gnus you could set it up to do similar... Gnus
was a bit complicated for me!

hth
james