viper-mode, how to indent with spaces instead of a tab

From: eisenfinger
Subject: viper-mode, how to indent with spaces instead of a tab
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:06:03 -0700 (PDT)

In viper-mode, how do you cause spaces to be inserted instead of a tab
character.  For example, in Vi (elvis) the startup file would contain
'set it=spaces'.  Evidently, (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil) is
not sufficient by itself for viper-mode.  I don't understand the key
binding process well enough to write my own script.