Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission

From: Glen
Subject: Any way to use newer Emacs on a Linux where I don't have root permission?
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:18:47 +0800

Hi.

I have to work in a Linux server without root permission. In this server, the emacs's version is 21.4.1(too old for me).  I want to use a newer version in the server.

Two methods tried:
1. Compile emacs-24.3 in the old linux server, I tried to install lots of libraries manually.  At last, I can't build emacs successfully. I give up.
2. Try to compile emacs-24.3 in my local linux where I have root permission. Then, copy it to the server linux.

On local linux:
# cd /opt/local_build/emacs-24.3/build
# ../configure --prefix=/home/cnglen/opt   --without-all --without-x
# make
# make install

On server linux after copying /home/cnglen/opt from local linux:
Running emacs-24.3:
a) It shows: libtinfo.so.5 not found.  After I copying libtinfo.so.5 from local linux, It's OK.
b) /lib64/libc.so.6: version "GLIBC_2.6" not found. version "GLIBC_2.11" not found.  In the server "GLIBC's versio is 2.5".

I just want to use a newer emacs on the local server where I don't have root permission. Any suggestions?
Is there someway  to compile emacs with static library (NOT shared library)?

Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Glen