Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Shortcut to compile "highlighted Text/Tag"
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 23:10:47 -0600

Rami A wrote:
> It was not about "loading gid" but more of including all the bits
> and pieces needed in my dotemacs file and not use a secondary set of
> files "*.el"

I see by another recent posting that you have simply included
everything in your .emacs.  That can get unwieldy.  But if it works
for you then that is fine.

> Again I am very new to lisp and not sure how in the world it is been loaded.

Emacs will ship with many lisp libraries in the core distribution.
Additional libs can be loaded from the .emacs and you can put them
anywhere you want to load them from.  I always have a ~/emacs dir with
various tidbits there.

> But quiet honestly. I don't think there is anything to load for what
> I am asking for to work.  If you added the lined I mentioned in your
> dotemacs file and executed "mkid" in the top level of the source
> code, you will be able to gid for these tokens you are searching
> for.

Well... *I* wouldn't be able to.  I don't have mkid nor gid installed
on my system.  So they would not be found unless I installed them.  :-)

> I actually finally figured it out after staying late at work on a
> Friday night :/
>
> In the code that I grabbed from gid.el and included in my dotemacs,
> I only changed the following line:
>
>   (interactive (list (word-around-point)))
>
> Now all works as intended.
> I now have:
> (global-set-key [f4]        'gid)
>
> Now when pressing F4, it will search for the token that the cursor
> is pointing at, without the need for confirmation.

I am glad to hear that you have it worked out for you!

Bob