RE: Editing text in Emacs then pasting into something like Outlook

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Editing text in Emacs then pasting into something like Outlook
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 15:51:38 +0000

> From: eqyiel@gmail.com, Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:30 PM

> While searching for a solution a few months ago, I borrowed some code from
> Xah Lee [1], but replaced his bigFillColumnVal "4333999" with most-positive-
> fixnum, which changes depending on the system - I think.
> On mine it is 2305843009213693951.
>
> There is also a slightly more readable implementation I found on StackOverflow
> [2].  I now have it bound to M-q.  Works great!
>
> [1] http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/modernization_fill-paragraph.html
> [2] http://stackoverflow.com/a/14992483/2204400

I like to say "never is a long time," but this seems to violate the
predictability of the behavior of M-q such that I truly /never/ would
have thought to make this part of what M-q does....  (I /can/ see the
utility of it when used purely interactively, but doesn't the
self-inverting state information need to get reset on movement
of point across paragraph boundaries?)

Mostly I won't modify M-q, I suppose, because I want to be able to use
it in macros.  I am thinking about using a prefix argument
(interactively) on M-q to invoke the "unfill" behavior, so it would be
C-u M-q.  (I don't intend to need this frequently, instead using a
separate Emacs frame showing a buffer I'll use for my copy/paste.
Thanks to Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi>, this buffer will be in the
previously-shared flowing-text-mode, where original (fill-paragraph) on
M-q will do the right thing.)

Thanks!
Mark