Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:58:59 +0800

The cool kids do it.

You can find many screencasts of people doing everything in terminal and proselytising the simplicity and lack of distractions of such a work flow.  They don't mention the lack of features, and the pitfalls.

As a result a lot of the newbie questions on stackoverflow and here are "Why dozn't M-return work with me Emacs?" and "How comez when I can't cut'n'paste from Emacs?".

This is frustratingly detrimental to Emacs adoption because the new user's initial experience with Emacs is "fixing" it.