Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 22:13:39 -0600

Steven Degutis wrote:
> What's the use-case for having the terminal be able to act as an editor?
> Seems like there's no real point in supporting terminal-mode in a text
> editor these days.

I use emacs in a terminal all of the time every day.  How else are you
going to edit files while logged into a remote server?

If emacs didn't support the text terminal anymore, something that it
has done since the beginning, then it could hardly be called emacs
anymore could it?  It would then be something different.  Like
gtk-emacs or something.  Which is fine.  But if emacs weren't
available to edit files would you expect we would use vi?  Horrors!

Bob