Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 22:30:07 -0600

Steven Degutis wrote:
> I'm so tired of how Emacs so desperately clings onto the 80s and 90s.

I am so tired of how people take current working tools and modify them
to be something completely different that breaks it for everyone who
was using it.  GNOME 3 is a good recent example but there are others
before it.

If you want to take emacs, or any other tool, and fork it off and go
into a different direction that is great!  I fully support you doing
that.  Emacs has been forked many times already.  That is one of the
awesome things about free(dom) software.  It gives you the ability to
modify and customize it.  If you think emacs is backwards then write
it your way reversed.  Call it "scame" because it wouldn't be emacs.

But don't break the existing emacs users to build that new tool.  Just
build that new tool.  Don't make your gain a loss for others.

"I love you.  You are perfect.  Now change."  I *hate* that!

> So many of its defaults are idiotic, so many legacy features it tries
> to support are just terrible and useless.

Then fork it and do your own thing!  But please don't break it for me.

> I often wish there was a modern emacs clone that dropped all these
> legacy features.

Do it!  The source is there for you.  Or start clean with an empty
directory.  There are no limits.

Bob