Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Jason White
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 03:31:04 +0000 (UTC)

Alan Mackenzie  <acm@muc.de> wrote:

>Are you suggesting you're willing to put in the work to remove terminal
>support from Emacs?  It'd be a lot of work.  What would be the point?

Exactly. And if anyone is seriously proposing to remove terminal support,
could they also implement all of the necessary ATK interfaces to enable my
braille display to be used with Emacs under X11 and GTK? It works wonderfully
at the console and also over ssh connections, thanks to the terminal display
code in Emacs, removal of which would be a major regression for my use cases.

I should mention that I use Emacspeak for speech output and highly recommend
it; Emacspeak can run equally well in a terminal or under X, but for braille
access (using a refreshable braille device) Emacs really must be run in a
terminal session.