cperl indentation question

From: mgwmgw
Subject: cperl indentation question
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 13:48:34 -0700 (PDT)

I have been using emacs since the 1980's,
and I am doing perl development using cperl mode.
The coding style rules where I work require that lines of source are less
than 80 characters wide.
Also, if I have a perl command like this
my $variable = "very long string"
.  " another very long string";
The continuation "." should line up under the double quote at the beginning
of the first line.
If I have a function/sub call
function("very long string"
            . " another very long string");
this lines up just fine,
but I have not figured out how to line this up without parens.
Any ideas?