Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 21:15:10 -0400

> But emacs will always ask you if it should proceed due to that issue.
> It will never do it automatically.  It isn't intrinsically insecure.

Well, that depends how paranoid you are.  It used to be intrinsically
insecure (only prompting the user for things known to be dicey) and has
been improved over the years (always prompting unless told that it's
safe), but there are so many variables marked as "safe" that might be
used in unexpected ways by so many packages that "intrinsically secure"
sounds naive.

More specifically, I'd be *very* surprised if there aren't any "big
security holes" waiting to be exploited in Emacs.

> And you would need to be exposed to hostile user attack in order to
> trigger it.

Yes.  I think that's what keeps you safe.

        Stefan "who uses Zile when running as root"