Re: XEmacs

From: unfrostedpoptart
Subject: Re: XEmacs
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 12:08:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, May 10, 2013 3:38:02 AM UTC-7, Hilary wrote:
> On 28/04/13 23:28, James Freer wrote:
>
> > My apologies. I read that somewhere recently... i did say "I don't think..."
> > Gnu Emacs is much better - i don't know why anyone should want to use
> > Xemacs.
> I used Xemacs for a while a few years ago because at that time, on a
> slow windoze box, it was significantly snappier and more stable then GNU
> Emacs. GNU Emacs caught up and overtook Xemacs, even before I acquired
> faster hardware and switched to Linux.

I've been using emacs since 18.57 / 1988.  I switched to Lucid and then xemacs
for many years but switched to gnu almost 2 years ago (Linux, Mac, Win).  The
support/development of xemacs has pretty much dried up and many of the packages
I wanted to use no longer are compatible with xemacs.  It didn't take long to
convert all my customizations and it's been great.  Many computer-intensive
operations (e.g. re-indenting large files) are at least an order of magnitude
faster!