Re: Separate clients for emacs --daemon

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Separate clients for emacs --daemon
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 16:54:24 +0000

Peter Rudenko <petro.rudenko@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, i'm using emacs --daemon/emacsclient -c. But i'm working on
> several projects simultaneously and don't wont buffers from one
> project being visible on other clients. How to make emacsclient
> starting with no buffers?

emacsclient -c by itself should start with just the *scratch* buffer.

If you mean that you don't want the daemon's buffer *list* to be shared
between the clients, the only solution is different emacs --daemon
instances.  The buffer list is not tied to a particular client or frame,
but is global to the Emacs instance.  But if you did something like

emacsclient --daemon=project1
emacsclient -c -s project1
emacsclient --daemon=project2
emacsclient -c -s project2

then the project1 and project2 daemons and their clients would be
completely separate from each other and could have different global
variable settings, different kill rings, different buffer lists, etc.

> Also if i close one client all other clients became invisible. It
> seems to being known bug. I'm using emacs snapshot from cassou/emacs
> ppa.

Actually, it's not a known bug in emacsclient, AFAIK.  However, the Gtk+
build of emacs --daemon is known to be vulnerable to a long-standing,
unresolved bug in Gtk+ ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/gtk/+bug/543611 ).
If you are using the GUI emacsclient across multiple X servers, or if
you ever force close an emacsclient frame, it could take down all of
Emacs with it.  For daemon use it is recommended to use emacs-lucid
instead of the gtk+ build.

--
BOFH excuse #293:

You must've hit the wrong any key.