RE: using find-grep in emacs

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: using find-grep in emacs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:31:34 +0000

> From: Barry Margolin, Monday, May 13, 2013 9:36 PM

> > I believe /dev/null is there to convince grep that it should display
> > file names because it is looking at multiple files.
>
> Right. Modern greps have -H for this (and -h to suppress filenames even when
> there are multiple inputs).

Since we're on the subject, is there a way to make Emacs not add "/dev/null"
(UNIX, or "NUL" on Windows) at the end?  I have a couple of "specialized"
grep-like commands that I run as the command in M-x grep, and I've adjusted
those scripts to ignore a trailing "/dev/null" argument in order to be
compatible with Emacs.  (I would never add "/dev/null" interactively if I were
invoking them.)

Thanks!
Mark Ludwig