Re: set the highlight color when searching

From: gerlach
Subject: Re: set the highlight color when searching
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 17:55:21 +0200

Am 14.05.2013 16:13, schrieb Drew Adams:
when searching for text the actual highlighted text in
emacs 23.3 in ubuntu 12.04 is lightblue with pink background
- a horrible combination, I often can't read it. How can I
change lightblue to e.g. white?

Customize the face 'isearch'.

How to find this yourself:

M-x customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET

You will see these matches:

Isearch face: (sample) [Show Face]
    State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
    Face for highlighting Isearch matches.

Isearch Fail face: (sample) [Show Face]
    State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
    Face for highlighting failed part in Isearch echo-area message.

Isearch Lazy Highlight Face:(sample) [Show Face]
    State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
    isearch-lazy-highlight-face is an alias for the face `lazy-highlight'.
[More]

You can customize any of these from the same buffer (it is a Customize buffer).
Start by clicking `[Show Face]' (or the small triangle in Emacs 24+).

If you generally use the default Emacs settings, and you think the default
appearance for face `isearch' should be changed, file an enhancement request for
that using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

thx a lot!

Isearch face: (sample) [Hide Face]
   [State]: SAVED and set.
   Face for highlighting Isearch matches.
Groups: [Isearch] [Basic Faces]
See also [Manual] and [isearch].
Choice: [Value Menu]
 Attributes: [ ] Font Family: *
             [ ] Font Foundry: *
             [ ] Width: *
             [ ] Height: *
             [ ] Weight: *
             [ ] Slant: *
             [ ] Underline: *
             [ ] Overline: *
             [ ] Strike-through: *
             [ ] Box around text: *
             [ ] Inverse-video: *
>>  *)       [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
             [X] Background: magenta4   (sample)
             [ ] Stipple: *
             [ ] Inherit: *

*) I changed to "white" and emacs wrote to my ~/.emacs:

(custom-set-variables )
(custom-set-faces
'(isearch ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "magenta4" :foreground "white")))))

BTW: I deleted remarks

But: nothing changed! restarting emacs the same "old" background color lightblue (cyan1 ?) appears. And: looking again in customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET I see

[X] Foreground: white      (sample)

where "sample" is blue colored! The "white" didn't take effekt. Why?

Eckard