Re: set the highlight color when searching

From: gerlach
Subject: Re: set the highlight color when searching
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:57:08 +0200

Am 14.05.2013 21:23, schrieb gerlach:
Am 14.05.2013 17:55, schrieb gerlach:

[X] Foreground: white      (sample)

where "sample" is blue colored! The "white" didn't take effekt. Why?

some hours later I made some further tests:
green works, black, too! And red also, but not white and yellow! Who has
programmed such nonsense? All useful colors are blocked!?!?!

In another test I saved "black" as background and got "black" in .emacs but red in emacs search !?!?! I tested all colors changing

 (custom-set-faces
'(isearch ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "white" :foreground "black"))))

background entry. Only "green" appears as green, all other colors change to other colors! What a mess! Inserting "white" results in blue (cyan) background, and in combination with foreground black (that appears as black, what a surprise!) I CAN WORK!!! Black on cyan is readable!!! GREAT!

As next "isearch-fail" was also unreadable , red background and grey foreground. I went to configuration with
M-x customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET
and saved somewhat color for background. I looked at my .emacs file and detected:

'(isearch-fail ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "red")))))

I tested all possible colors yellow, black, green, .... All colors appeard in other color like observed with "isearch", inserting "cyan1" instead von red I get lightblue (=cyan) at isearch-fail. And I CAN READ IT AND I CAN WORK! What surprise and what a mess ...

After I detected that "isearch" was resetted to magenta background ..., I looked at .emacs and indeed: emacs config has manipulated the colors in isearch entry although I didn' change "isearch" in M-x customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET !! What mess, bugs-over-bugs ... in
emacs 23.3+1-1ubuntu9.1

Eckard