Re: In GNU Emacs Calc embedded mode, how to simplify unit N/m^2 to Pa

From: Sharad Shrestha
Subject: Re: In GNU Emacs Calc embedded mode, how to simplify unit N/m^2 to Pa
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 19:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:26:27 AM UTC-7, Jay Belanger wrote:
> > In GNU Emacs (v24.3.1) Calc embedded mode, I'd like to perform unit
>
> > simplification such that (5 N / 2 m^2) gives the result 2.5 Pa (where
>
> > 1 Pa = 1 N/m^2). But I am unable to get the unit N/m^2 converted to
>
> > Pa.
>

> Calc units simplification (u s) typically doesn't combine units that
>
> way, you'll need to use units conversion (u c) and tell Calc you want
>
> Pa.

For a static assignment such as shown below, I can easily change units (in both
directions) between N/m^2 and Pa by using the units conversion command (u c):

\begin{equation}
%%% dd1 := 8 * N / m^2 %%%
dd1 \gets \frac{8 N}{m^2}
\end{equation}

This type of units conversion works even when I include the Evaluates-To
operator (=>):

\begin{equation}
%%% ee1 := 6 * N / m^2 => 6 * N / m^2 %%%
\evalto ee1 \gets \frac{6 N}{m^2} \to \frac{6 N}{m^2}
\end{equation}

 However, what I am trying to do is create a "live" calculation sheet such as
shown below:

\begin{equation}
%%% aa1 := 10 * N %%%
aa1 \gets 10 N
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
%%% bb1 := 2 * m^2 %%%
bb1 \gets 2 m^2
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
%%% cc1 := aa1 / bb1 => 5 * N / m^2 %%%
\evalto cc1 \gets \frac{aa1}{bb1} \to \frac{5 N}{m^2}
\end{equation}

I can change the values assigned to aa1 and bb1, and the value of cc1 is
updated automatically.  However, the units conversion command (u c) has not
have any effect when I try to convert the units of cc1 (fron N/m^2 to Pa).  Is
there a way to perform this unit conversion?