Re: Essential question [re: Re: "Text is read-only"... except it isn't..

From: ken
Subject: Re: Essential question [re: Re: "Text is read-only"... except it isn't... or shouldn't be]
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 08:10:54 -0400

On 05/18/2013 09:59 AM Kevin Rodgers wrote:
On 5/16/13 8:26 AM, ken wrote:
On 05/16/2013 09:30 AM Kevin Rodgers wrote:
On 5/16/13 5:08 AM, ken wrote:
So given this:

echo This is not an image file. > list.gif; emacs list.gif &

which mode should emacs invoke?

If you agree with the convention that .gif files are GIF images, then
image-mode.

If you choose to violate that convention, then I suggest:

echo -e "-*- mode: Text;-*-\nThis is not an image file." > list.gif;
emacs list.gif

$ echo This is not an image file. > list.gif; file list.gif
list.gif: ASCII text

The first step in getting emacs to emulate the file command is

(setq auto-mode-alist nil)

Then map /etc/magic into magic-mode-alist and interpreter-mode-alist.

Thanks, Kevin. But there are already way too many projects in front of me for the foreseeable future (including some emacs development). I simply can't take on any more. Moreover, this wasn't an issue in all the previous versions of emacs I've used for at least ten years, so probably something was changed in this or a recent version which maybe shouldn't have been. So the regular developers would be in a much better position to address this issue than I would.

Because it might be useful to those developers, I'll put into the record here the version used last (in which this issue didn't exist):

$ yum info emacs |grep -i 'version\|release'
Version    : 21.4
Release    : 24.el5

In the past I've filed a few bug reports/feature requests and for the most part found the experience unpleasant and not useful. So I don't do that anymore. However, if anyone else wants to write up a ticket, most all the information needed is already contained in this thread.

Thanks again.