Re: Help mode keybindings

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Help mode keybindings
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 22:02:59 +0200

(I got this by mail, and can't find it on the list. Anyway, I suppose
it was intended for the list as well.)

> Works for me in Emacs 24.  Not in Emacs 23, however.  The cause seems
> to be that in Emacs 23, *Help* is in `view-mode', which has a binding
> for C-j.

> Note that minor mode bindings take precedence over local (major-mode)
> bindings.

Aha, I see. Perhaps I should upgrade to Emacs 24.

> Probably there is no trivial way to achieve what you want.  You could
> use a minor mode yourself - or find a key that is not already used at
> multiple places.

Hm, to write a minor mode to shadow the view-mode sounds like
overkill. Wouldn't it be simpler to change the view minor mode? Or is
there something making that more difficult than I thought, as well?

> I myself try to avoid re-binding such pre-defined keys.  Often you
> later find a mode where, to keep the example, the original binding of
> C-j is something you really want, and you have to find another key
> for that one or give up that your own binding is available everywhere
> etc.

In general, I agree, but, no rule without an exception... That key
works for all the zillion modes I use, it is in my muscle memory, and
it is a "close" shortcut (my index finger already at 'J'). I use
registers to navigate my entire file system, and any project I
currently work on, so I'm not giving it up.

> Or make a binding in `key-translation-map'.

How would I do that?

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573