Re: Emacs books (was: Emacs and Lynx Browser)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs books (was: Emacs and Lynx Browser)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 11:32:45 +0200

florian@fsavigny.de (Florian v. Savigny) writes:

> Then they must have scrapped them in later editions - really, really
> stupid, I could not agree more. In mine (the 2nd, maybe??), they
> played an important role, and it was precisely the way I was able to
> tweak rmail and mail which made Emacs so versatile for me. I still
> use them (professionally), and still have no desire for anything
> more modern.

I can't express how much rmail and Gnus increased my life quality. I
have eye problems, and I've always communicated a lot with emails, on
forums, and so on, and those mouse-based, GUI clients (not to mention
web interfaces) were killing me. The Emacs extensions, on the other
hands, were so much faster to use, and 100% configurable (dark, calm
themes; shortcuts to reduce typing and overhead time).

> Maybe a reason to try to get hold of an old edition.

Didn't know that, but will sure check it out.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573