Re: Why different behaviour of concat on OSX and on Lubuntu

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Why different behaviour of concat on OSX and on Lubuntu
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:34:04 +0200

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> Part of the code looks like this:
> ;; check whether running on OSX
> (setq isOSX (equal (expand-file-name "~/") "/Users/guivho/"))
>
> (if isOSX
>     (setq leader "§")
>   (setq leader "²"))
>
> (global-set-key (kbd (concat "M-" leader)) 'overwrite-mode)
>
> The last statement maps overwrite-mode to the M-§ sequence on my iMac.
>
> On the Lubuntu machine, it does not map M-² to overwrite-mode, It barks:
>
> (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p (concat "M-" leader))
>   read-kbd-macro((concat "M-" leader)
> [...]
> I am puzzled why the concat does not work on lubuntu, and would like
> to know how to code it to achieve the desired effect.

`kbd' was a (quite strange) macro in Emacs 23.  It changed to a function
in Emacs 24.  Your code works only in the last case.  Call it a bug in
Emacs 23.

As long as you need to use both Emacs versions in parallel, you should
be safe when you use `read-kbd-macro' instead of `kbd'.  It does the
same, but should work in both versions.

Regards,

Michael.