Re: M-x call with optional arg; call from Elisp

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: M-x call with optional arg; call from Elisp
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 23:44:01 -0600

On 5/28/13 1:52 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Stefan Monnier<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>  writes:
Don't use shell-command-on-region from Elisp. Use
call-process-region instead.

The above function seems to work. shell-command-on-region and
call-process-region are not syntactically interchangeable, but I'll
do it if you care to tell me the advantage.

If you are not using shell features such as redirection, pipes, globbing (file
name expansion), variable expansion, conditional and iterative control flow
etc. then there is no need to invoke an additional/intermediary shell process
between emacs and the command you want to run.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA