RE: isearch+ provoces error when starting eshell

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: isearch+ provoces error when starting eshell
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 21:42:21 -0700 (PDT)

> in emacs24 when isearch+ is loaded, starting eshell gives:
> byte-code: Key sequence C-c C-c starts with non-prefix key C-c
> and somehow freezes.  It's possible to give a `ls' command but
> not twice.
>
> Minimal example:
> emacs-snapshot -Q -nw -l ~/.emacs.d/elpa/isearch+-20130513.1521/isearch+.el
> -f eshell
>
> Is this something I should file a bug report for?  Where?

Hi Gregor,

You can report Isearch+ problems to me directly.

I cannot reproduce the problem you see.  I tried the following with
Emacs 24.3 (on MS Windows), which should be equivalent to what you are
doing.  I don't know anything about `emacs-snapshot', or what that
Isearch version is in your elpa directory.  But I assume it is more or
less the same as what I have.

emacs -Q -nw -l "C:\mydir\isearch+.el" -f eshell

Likewise, if I use `emacs -Q -nw' and then load isearch+.el (or
isearch+.elc), and then do `M-x eshell'.

I can do C-c C-c and ls, any number of times each.

The only key bindings involving C-c in Isearch+ are these in
`isearch-mode-map' (which means they are in effect while searching,
i.e., after C-s).  They are each bound to `isearchp-yank-char':

C-c
C-y C-c

But your error message seems to come from the byte-compiler.
When I byte-compile isearch+.el in Emacs 24 I get no such error.
And if I then load isearch+.elc instead of .el, I see no difference.

I can think of two possibilities, neither of which seems like it
should really explain the problem you're seeing:

1. I neglected to include (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)) in the file.
I've just added it now and uploaded isearch+.el to Emacs Wiki, here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/isearch%2b.el
You might try that to see if it makes a difference (I doubt it).

2. I believe there have been some byte-compiler problems in some recent
Emacs development builds.  Perhaps that is the problem.  I'm by no means
sure there are any such problems, but I think I saw some messages about
it.  No idea whether, if there are some byte-compiler problems, they are
relevant to what you're seeing here.

Anyway, try loading the source file (not .elc) directly.  Try this, to
see if it makes any difference:

Delete isearch+.elc, so you use the source file.

emacs -Q -nw

Then `M-x load-file isearch+.el' in its directory (or ensure it is in
your `load-path' and use `load-library').

Then `M-x eshell' and the rest of your recipe (C-c C-c ls C-c C-c etc.).

Let me know if you make any progress.  Perhaps there is a bug in Emacs
or in isearch+.el, but so far I cannot repro what you see.  Sorry.