Re: Help with setting a key (C-<right> moving a full word to the right)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Help with setting a key (C-<right> moving a full word to the right)
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 18:28:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>>> I don't know what is a "Linux VT", but I suspect that it's a
>>> text-mode terminal.  In which case Emacs simply doesn't get
>>> reported that C-right was pressed.  Try "C-h l" (that's the
>>> letter ell, not the digit one), and see if Emacs at all sees
>>> the Ctrl modifier.
>>
>> It doesn't, like I said :)
>
> If Emacs doesn't see the Ctrl-right key, then the solution to
> this, if any, is not on the Emacs level.

Correct. There was a guy who taught me a method, with which I setup
the backtab in Emacs (which was also unnoticed at first). If he is
reading this, perhaps he can tell us more. Anyway, I applied the
exact same procedure:

ctrll keycode 106 = U+010F # 106 = right arrow according to `showkey'
                           # Unicode code just a handle

Put that in a file, and load with

lkeys () {
        sudo loadkeys -c -s /etc/console-setup/remap.inc > /dev/null
}

Then, in ~/.emacs, put

(define-key input-decode-map [?\u010F] [ctrlright])
(global-set-key (kbd "<ctrlright>") 'forward-word)

But it still doesn't work. Only, if I change the "ctrll" above for
shift, it works (but then for shift, of course). So in general,
the procedure works, if that is any consolation.

Also, note that I'm not the OP, I don't want this myself; and I
don't know if this issue is why he cannot get it
work. Nonetheless, it could be interesting to me to know, although
I'm not implementing it for this particular purpose.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573