Encoding

From: sirciny
Subject: Encoding
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:47:44 -0700 (PDT)

I recently changed the default Ubuntu font in my ~/.emacs file to DejaVu Sans
Mono-10 using the following:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "DejaVu Sans Mono-10")

Now, when I edit certain .txt files, I get the following error when Emacs
autosaves:

These default coding systems were tried to encode text
in the buffer ` *Format Temp 0*':
  (emacs-mule-unix (216366 . 157))
However, each of them encountered characters it couldn't encode:
  emacs-mule-unix cannot encode these: 

Click on a character (or switch to this window by `C-x o'
and select the characters by RET) to jump to the place it appears,
where `C-u C-x =' will give information about it.

Select one of the safe coding systems listed below,
or cancel the writing with C-g and edit the buffer
   to remove or modify the problematic characters,
or specify any other coding system (and risk losing
   the problematic characters).

  utf-16le-with-signature utf-8 gb18030 utf-7 utf-16
  utf-16be-with-signature utf-16be utf-16le utf-8-auto
  utf-8-with-signature utf-7-imap utf-8-emacs

---------------------------------------

I have tried setting my default (en?)coding system to utf-8 via the
following:

  (set-language-environment 'utf-8)

  (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
  (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

None of the above has worked when placed in ~/.emacs and after restarting
Emacs. How can I get rid of this error and keep my new font (and avoid the
problem if I change my font attributes in the future)?