Re: delete-region - is their a way to get the deleted text?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: delete-region - is their a way to get the deleted text?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:51:15 -0400

In article <mailman.1597.1371148312.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 13.06.2013 um 15:33 schrieb Barry Margolin:
>
> > Why is that needed?
>
> Because delete-region is an interactive command. I naturally assumed that a
> substitute should a few features of the original command. Or it wouldn't be a
> substitute.

He didn't ask for a complete substitute, just something that provides
access to the deleted region for the caller.

> > The OP said that he needed access to the deleted region within the function
> > that calls it.
>
> That's not true. Or my English is too bad.

He wrote "if only I would have access to the region deleted with
'delete-region' inside that function."

It's confusing because there's no antecedent to "that function". But the
only possibility that makes sense to me is "the function that calls
delete-region".

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA