Re: delete-region - is their a way to get the deleted text?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: delete-region - is their a way to get the deleted text?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:08:38 -0400

In article <mailman.1599.1371152513.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 13.06.2013 um 20:51 schrieb Barry Margolin:
>
> > He wrote "if only I would have access to the region deleted with
> > 'delete-region' inside that function."
> >
> > It's confusing because there's no antecedent to "that function". But the
> > only possibility that makes sense to me is "the function that calls
> > delete-region".
>
> "That function" is clearly 'delete-region' ­ or why would Thorsten have asked
> for a function that is used in a function that returns the deleted text?
> (Commas are missing.)

I can't figure out what this interpretation means. Are "deleted with"
and "inside that function" both saying the same thing? Where do the
missing commas go?

For the interpretation you have, isn't that what wipe-region does? It
deletes the region, and puts it on the kill ring, which gives you access
to the region that was deleted.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA