Re: Invalid font name

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Invalid font name
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:44:46 +0200

Am 14.06.2013 um 16:33 schrieb Joon Ro:

> have custom font Inconsolata-g in my ~/.fonts folder, and I have set it as
> the Monospace font in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf.
>
> It works well except Emacs is giving me error: Invalid font name,
> -unknown-Inconsolata-g-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 at
> launch.

You are mixing up font related things! The fonts.conf file is related to
libfontconfig (see for example fontconfig-user.pdf or fontconfig-user.html).
The font name you pass is according to the XLFD – pretty old, last millennium,
needs to set up differently (with xset).

Give GNU Emacs the fontconfig font name:

        emacs -fn Inconsolata-g-15

And maybe it fails again, because the "-" character is used as a separator…

--
Greetings

  Pete

                                – Mark Twain