RE: dired listg & dired-sort-menu.el

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: dired listg & dired-sort-menu.el
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:25:56 -0700 (PDT)

>    Running
>    Emacs 24.0.92.1 on Debian (testing)
>
> Just tinkering with the sorting in dired and ran across Francis J
> Wright's 'dired-sort-menu.el' (and menu+)... The following site shows
> the menu that is produced:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu
>
> But when I load the library and press 'M-x dired-sort-dialogue' I get
> a less extensive menu and wondered if this is a result of the library
> being quite old (or possibly changes in the gnu 'ls' command..)
>
>   ( dired-sort-menu.el,v 1.26 2001-07-26 21:22:48+01 )
>
> compared to the emacs version I'm running or if
> I've done something to cause this.
>
> If it matters I tried with and without dired-x.

You do not say what the differences are between what you see and what is
shown on wiki page DiredSortMenu.

That page shows a popup menu initiated via `S-mouse-2' (in Dired).
You used `M-x dired-sort-dialogue' instead, which does not provide submenu
Configuration and provides a `Reverse' checkbox instead of a `Reversed Sort
By' submenu.  If this is the difference you are seeing then it is expected.

[The menu from menu-bar menu `Immediate > Sort By' (or `Dir > Sort By' if you
use Dired+) is essentially the same as the `S-mouse-2' popup menu.]