Re: help needed setting up etags on Windows

From: Hongxu Chen
Subject: Re: help needed setting up etags on Windows
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:46:43 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:59:09 +0530
>> From: C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com>
>>
>> Could someone please help me get started with setting up etags for a large
>> C++ source base? I'd like to use emacs on cygwin. I assume etags is the
>> right tool for source indexing with emacs.
>
> For C++, you will be better off with ebrowse, a program that also
> comes with Emacs.  It understands C++ much better than etags does, and
> provides similar commands (so you don't lose anything).  Check out the
> Ebrowse manual, which is part of the Emacs distribution, for details.

I guess cscope would be better, and there is an elisp script called xcscope.el.
http://cscope.sourceforge.net/
http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs186/fa05/debugging/xcscope.el

But it sucks when you need to modify some of your source code since the
update of cscope database always takes much time(AFAIK, there is no
incremental update at all); so it would be rather annoying if the code
base is large and there is a need to update the tag database
frequently.
There is another tagging system called GNU Global, however
it seems not available in cygwin.

--
Regards,
Hongxu Chen