gnus and group filtering

From: Mike Ray
Subject: gnus and group filtering
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:43:06 +0100

Hello,

I have Emacspeak running on Arch Linux on a Raspberry Pi computer.

I am trying to use gnus to provide newsgroup, RSS and email to the members of my community for visually impaired Raspberry Pi users.

I have a .gnus file which is allowing me to correctly show all the active newsgroups on freenews.netfront.net, but I can't get to grips with how to show/filter groups to which I have not subscribed.

Here's the problem in detail:

1.  When I launch gnus I can show all active groups with `A A'.

2. Scrolling through this list to find interesting groups is obviously out of the question because it is thousands and thousands of groups.

3. All other attempts to show groups, for instance with a regular expression show no groups.

Presumably this is because of the 'levels' somehow. It is this levels thing I can't get to grips with.

How can I get to subscribe to, for example comp.lang.python without scrolling through thousand of alt groups to get to the comp.lang.* groups?

Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Don't just sit there, learn something

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/

From where you can join our mailing list for visually-impaired Pi hackers