Re: gnus and group filtering

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: gnus and group filtering
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:29:14 +0200

Mike Ray <mike@raspberryvi.org> writes:

> I am trying to use gnus to provide newsgroup, RSS and email to
> the members of my community for visually impaired Raspberry Pi
> users.
>
> I have a .gnus file which is allowing me to correctly show all
> the active newsgroups on freenews.netfront.net, but I can't get
> to grips with how to show/filter groups to which I have not
> subscribed.
>
> Here's the problem in detail:
>
> 1.  When I launch gnus I can show all active groups with `A A'.
>
> 2.  Scrolling through this list to find interesting groups is
> obviously out of the question because it is thousands and
> thousands of groups.
>
> 3.  All other attempts to show groups, for instance with a
> regular expression show no groups.
>
> Presumably this is because of the 'levels' somehow.  It is this
> levels thing I can't get to grips with.
>
> How can I get to subscribe to, for example comp.lang.python
> without scrolling through thousand of alt groups to get to the
> comp.lang.* groups?

First, there is gnu.emacs.gnus where you should send this. The
traffic there is sometimes sparse, but at least send it there, as
well. And don't feel ignored if you are - well, ignored.

I have not experienced your problem, so I can't give you a
solution. But check out a simple page I have on Gnus:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus/index.html

and especially the .emacs-gnus file on that page. Note that that
is how I called the file, and it is loaded explicitly from my
.emacs - it is somewhat nonstandard, but basically it is just like
.emacs, .zshrc or any other init/config file.

But, even more to the point, what's *not* on that page is a file
called

~/.newsrc

that could look like this:

alt.hacker: 1-4958
comp.lang.lisp: 1-50400
comp.lang.perl.misc: 1-28118
rec.sport.boxing: 1-12261
comp.unix.misc! 1-331
comp.unix.programmer! 1-14380
comp.unix.shell: 1-21522
gnu.emacs.gnus: 1-5108
gnu.emacs.help: 1-32422
comp.os.linux: 1-15
alt.test! 1-231804

If my file looks like that, then those are the groups that I get.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573