Re: gnus and group filtering

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: gnus and group filtering
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:51:15 +0000

Hello Mike,

Mike Ray <mike@raspberryvi.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have Emacspeak running on Arch Linux on a Raspberry Pi computer.
>
> I am trying to use gnus to provide newsgroup, RSS and email to the
> members of my community for visually impaired Raspberry Pi users.
>
> I have a .gnus file which is allowing me to correctly show all the
> active newsgroups on freenews.netfront.net, but I can't get to grips
> with how to show/filter groups to which I have not subscribed.
>
> Here's the problem in detail:

[...]

> How can I get to subscribe to, for example comp.lang.python without
> scrolling through thousand of alt groups to get to the comp.lang.*
> groups?

There are some other commands you can use to more efficiently wade
through the active file on the news server.  For your case, A M
(`gnus-group-list-all-matching').  Try A M python RET.

Also, U from the *Group* buffer will give you a completion-enabled
list.  This is a particularly quick way to search if you are also using
(setq gnus-completing-read-function 'gnus-ido-completing-read); you will
then have narrowing by partial matches in the prompt.

Best,
WGG

--
I'm dressing up in an ill-fitting IVY-LEAGUE SUIT!!  Too late...